1 (750ml) bottle Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Red Blend
1 ¼ pounds cranberries
8 ounces unsweetened applesauce
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
juice and zest from 1 large lemon
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Reduce the red wine: In a medium pot, reduce the Red Blend over medium heat until there is ½ cup total liquid, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool.
3. For the fruit filling: In a medium bowl, combine the cranberries, applesauce, reduced Red Blend, diced apple, lemon juice and zest, and sugar.
4. For the topping: In a separate bowl, mix together the butter and breadcrumbs. Season with the salt. Set aside. In a third separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice.
5. Assemble and cook the crumble: Grease a 9-inch pie dish with the remaining butter. Layer the bottom with about ⅓ of the breadcrumbs. Top it with about ⅓ of the cranberries. Top with about ⅓ of the brown sugar and spice mix. Repeat these layers two more times. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and place in the center of the oven. Bake until the cranberries and topping are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove foil, raise oven temperature to 425°F and brown the top, 5 to 8 minutes. Cool slightly.
Cook’s Notes: For a sweeter, easier filling, use half fresh cranberries and half chunky cranberry sauce with the apples and sugar. You could use a premade pie shell and simply make the filling.
Recipe courtesy of Woodbridge Wines